On days when you are running like a headless chicken and trying to run your errands, keep children happy and think what to cook for dinner, it’s always handy to keep a few basic ingredients in your freezer to make meal time easier.
On days like that when I am in a hurry to get dinner on the table, I always turn to my freezer for help. Below are list of things that I pretty much always have in my freezer that helps me without a hassle to dish up dinner in no time.
1. Frozen vegetables – I love frozen vegetables for a few reasons: (1) they usually come pre-cut, so it saves time prepping and (2) they are great in stews or soups, and most of the time you don’t even need to defrost them. Just throw a few handfuls into your pot and wait for a meal to cook.
2. Berries - I always have some kind of berries in the freezer. I usually buy fresh berries when they are on sale and freeze them. We use them in smoothies, cupcakes, to make compotes or as topping in porridge.
3. Meat – particularly ground beef and chicken fillets. If you are looking for versatility then ground meat is your ‘friend’. Cottage pie, spaghetti bolognese, burgers, lasagne just to name few meals what you can make with ground meat.
And of course chicken fillets. I usually pre-cut the fillets thinly, divide into portions and freeze. They defrost quickly and cook evenly. Easy-peasy.
4. Pizza base – it is handy to have a pizza base in the freezer for those days when you are very busy and don’t have time to cook. Just top the base with your favourite toppings, pop into the oven and 25 minutes later you have the dinner served.
5. Bread – I often buy baguettes at the end of the day when they are on sale, I simply put them in the freezer and when I am running out of bread, I pop them into the pre-heated oven and leave them there until they are crispy from outside and piping hot inside.Besides baguettes I keep hamburger buns and wraps as well.
So, here you have it, five ingredients I always keep in my freezer. What about you? Do you have must-haves you keep in your freezer? I would love to hear from you!